Universal Credit for armed forces personnel and their families

October 10, 2017

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will eventually replace some of the benefits and tax credits you may have claimed previously. Serving personnel and their families may be entitled to Universal Credit when the serving member is temporarily posted overseas.

If you and/or your partner are responsible for paying rent for the home you live in (not SFA or SSFA), or if you have a mortgage, you may qualify for help in the form of Universal Credit housing costs. This is all part of the single monthly payment you receive, and means you don’t need to apply separately to the local authority.

Find out more about Universal Credit, check whether you are eligible and how to claim. Support is also available if you become self-employed.

  • If you have a query or comment about the Armed Forces Covenant and wish to receive a response, please use the Contact Us form.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.